Saturday, April 23, 2011

When it rains, it rains, and rains, and rains..

We woke up around 8am. 7 hours of sleep was absolutely not acceptable for me considering that I had been awake for around 28. Andrew takes it upon himself to explore the neighborhood and find some food. I remember mumbling something from beneath the covers like, "don't get lost. oh and bring me some juice." I next wake up around 10:30 am just as andrew is coming back inside. My stomach is now killing me. The pound of horse I consumed the night before is weighing heavily. He walks around the corner soaking wet and carrying a few bags of groceries. Including the juice that I had so sleepily requested. We exchange brief conversation and pass back out until 4pm.

When I wake up, it is still raining and quite breezy. We get dressed and ready for what is left of the day. Mike had been working all day and had another shift that evening at an establishment called "The Pink Cow." Luckily we had been given specific directions on how to get to his work the day before. Like his baby birds, we leave the safety of the nest and hit the streets of Tokyo in the pouring rain, make it to the train, and hold on. We get to Shibuya station find ourselves in the craziest intersection I have ever seen. When the light says stop, cars and busses carry on as per usual. But as soon as the light says walk, chaos ensues. People begin running and walking in every imaginable direction possible to cross the street. Then sure enough, as soon as the light says stop, the street is clear and traffic begins to move again.

In Japan, 98% of people use an umbrella when it is raining. Of those 98%, about 90% of those people use clear umbrellas. I soon realized that there was a method to this madness. If you are one of the two percent that doesn't have an umbrella, you will most likely lose an eye while ducking and dodging the corners of every other umbrella on the street. If you are among the percentage that uses a clear umbrella, you are smartest of all of the umbrella carriers. You see, if you use a clear umbrella not only are you protected from all of the other umbrellas around you, but you can use your umbrella as a shield while still seeing where you're going. Quite genius, I think.

After making a couple of phone calls, we make our way to The Pink Cow. How Mike ever got a job here is beyond me. It is nearly impossible to find, and quite literally a hole in the wall. But to be honest, the best places usually are holes in the walls. Another one of Tokyo's hidden gems. That night at The Pink Cow happened to be burrito night, which I could absolutely get behind because I didn't need anymore authentic dishes to fill the void the horse meat left just yet. These burritos were amazing. The best I have ever had. And in Japan! Who would have thought.

Stuffed to the brim we take off with Mike and hit another hole in the wall (naturally). This time a hookah bar with tasty shisha. We ended up ordering apple cinnamon flavor, talked for an hour or so, then headed back into the rain and then home.

Although I had only been up for around 7 hours, I was beat once again. Japan: 1, USA: 0

No comments: