Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eat more greens.

At 6:30 am, I woke up with a mullet. I smoothed down and fluffed up my hair and quickly got dressed. Today was the day we tagged along with Mike and Ashley to their yoga class at Temple school. About three train rides and an hour later, we made it to the class. Temple school is an American school, in Japan. Everyone speaks English, and most everyone is American. This was the first time I had every done yoga. It wasn't fucking around either, and kicked my ass hard.

After yoga we took a walk to a restaurant called, "eat more greens." It was a quaint little spot maybe half a mile away from school. The restaurant offered vegetarian lunch specials and vegan pastries. We sat outside in the gorgeous weather, ate, and sipped iced tea.

After lunch, we had some time to kill. Andrew, Mike, and I hopped on a train back to the Shibuya area. From Shibuya going into Harijuku there is a street called, "Cat Street." Straight up, Cat Street. This street consists of little places to eat, designer clothing stores, and thrift shops.  The thrift shops in Japan aren't to be fucked with. For some reason they think it is acceptable to charge 12000 Yen (which is about $135.00) for a shitty college sweatshirt with holes in it. Disgusted, we left in a hurry. Although I was tempted to buy this sweet "Thriller" cap for $45.00, but something told me to walk away.

At the verrrrry end of Cat Street is a place called, "Tree Bar." Now, I'm not quite sure if it is actually called tree bar, but it was located on the second level of a building with a tree growing through the center of it. Thus the nickname, tree bar. We read books on tree-houses and had a few drinks before making our way through Harijuku and to Yoyogi park.

Harijuku is a large shopping district with tons of shops, big and small. Tons of familiar stores like Forever 21 and  H&M. Since it is a large shopping district, it is also a large fashion district. Any kind of person you would like to find is Harijuku, is there.

Yoyogi park is a big a beautiful park. The only downside is that the grass isn't real (as in it looks like shitty crab grass), and it doubles as a bum park. Bums seriously live there with huge tents with all of their belongings inside. Unfortunately we couldn't spend much time there because we had to get back to Temple and meet up with Ashley to go swimming in the local hotel pool. The only problem with this plan was that Andrew wasn't carrying his passport with him and got denied at the entrance. Defeated we hopped a train back home and took a nice and lengthy nap. Well, I did anyhow.

After my nap, we went and got sushi for dinner. we went to this little spot in Kichijoji that spits out sashimi on a conveyer belt, and you pick what you want to eat when passes in front of you on the belt. Sashimi out here is also dirt cheap, and some of the best/freshest fish you will ever consume. Even the shitty convenient store sushi is 100x better than any sushi  you would get at Fuji-ya or Tiger Sushi back home. Poor midwesterners are doing the best they can.

After sushi, we went to this tiny hole in the wall (as always) and ate at a place we called, "Panda Bar." I realize I am making up names for every place that I visit. So if you are in the market for going to Japan, and would like some recommendations, I am not sure I am the person to ask. Every place I've been thus far has been a made up name, as I cannot read the actual names on the store fronts. We had some drinks, tackled some gyoza and headed home, where I passed out immediately. Andrew and Mike on the other hand, went out and drank at a neighborhood spot until 3am.

No comments: